Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able
to stand against the wiles of the devil.
God has given to us armor to live a victorious life.
Just as in days of old, men put on armor to protect themselves against the enemy.
These men fought against flesh and blood.
We, however, fight a battle that is unseen.
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood,
but against principalities, against powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this age,
against spiritual hosts of wickedness in heavenly places.
So what is the armor?
- Belt of Truth-This is the first part of the armor. Soldiers use a belt to hold their weapons and to protect vital areas. In the same way the belt of truth protects us spiritually and keeps us from being vulnerable. God’s word is our protection from the enemy.
- Breastplate of Righteousness-A breastplate covers the chest to protect the heart. When we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, we gain His righteousness.
- Sandals of Peace-Terrain was difficult in ancient times and soldiers needed good protective footwear. God’s footwear allows us to carry out peace and share the Gospel throughout the world.
- Shield of Faith-The shield defended soldiers from arrows and spears. In the same way, the shield of faith defends us from the fiery darts of the evil one. It is our faith in Jesus that protects us. We must lift up our shield.
- Helmet of Salvation-The helmet protects the head. The helmet of salvation protects our head where thoughts and knowledge reside.
- Sword of the Spirit-The sword is an offensive weapon. By wielding the word of God, we defend ourselves both offensively and defensively against Satan.
- Power of Prayer-Finally, the power of prayer keeps us alert and in constant communication with God.
Every day, put on the whole armor of God